Data Standards Committee
The Standards Committee is responsible for defining and advising the development of data products and access protocols for the ARPA-E TERRA program. The committee consists of twelve core participants: one representative from each of the six funded projects and six independent experts. The committee will meet virtually each month and in person each year to discuss, develop, and revise data products, interfaces, and computing infrastructure.
Roles and responsibilities
TERRA Project Standards Committee representatives are expected to represent the interests of their TERRA team, their research community, and the institutions for which they work. External participants were chosen to represent specific areas of expertise and will provide feedback and guidance to help make the TERRA platform interoperable with existing and emerging sensing, informatics, and computing platforms.
- Participate in monthly to quarterly teleconferences with the committee.
- Provide expert advice.
- Provide feedback from other intersted parties.
- Participate in, or send delegate to, annual two-day workshops.
If we can efficiently agree on and adopt conventions, we will have more flexibility to use these workshops to train researchers, remove obstacles, and identify opportunities. This will be an opportunity for researchers to work with developers at NCSA and from the broader TERRA informatics and computing teams to identify what works, prioritize features, and move forward on research questions that require advanced computing.
- August 2015: Establish committee, form a data plan
- January 2016: v0 file standards
- January 2017: v1 file standards, sample data sets
- January 2018: mock data cube generator, standardized data products, simulated data
- January 2019: standardized data products, simulated data
Data Standards Participants
- TERRA Project Representatives (6)
- ARPA-E Program Representatives (2)
- Board of External Advisors (6)
(numbers in parentheses are targets, for which we have funding)
|David LeBauer||UIUC / NCSA||dlebauer_at_illinois.edu|
|TERRA Project Representatives|
|Paul Bartlett||Near Earth Autonomy||paul_at_nearearthautonomy.com|
|Jeff White||USDA ALARC||Jeffrey.White_at_ars.usda.gov|
|Matt Colgan||Blue River||matt.c_at_bluerivert.com|
|Christer Janssen||Pacific Northwest National Laboratory||georg.jansson_at_pnnl.gov|
|Barnabas Poczos||Carnegie Mellon||bapoczos_at_cs.cmu.edu|
|Alex Thomasson||Texas A&M University||thomasson_at_tamu.edu|
|Cheryl Porter||ICASA / AgMIP / USDA|
|Shawn Serbin||Brookhaven National Lab||sserbin_at_bnl.gov|
|Carolyn J. Lawrence-Dill||Iowa State||triffid_at_iastate.edu|
|Eric Lyons||University of Arizona / iPlant||ericlyons_at_email.arizona.edu|